Friday, August 19, 2005

My Must Haves and Can't Stands

Welcome to readers of my column who are just now hearing about my blog!
This is my list of "Must Haves" and "Can't Stands," based on the book "Date ... or Soul Mate? How to Tell if Someone is Worth Pursuing in Two Dates or Less," which had me determine what ten things I most want and least want in a partner. The author (the founder of E-harmony.com) contends if someone lacks a Must Have or has a Can't Stand, then you should call it quits and move on to a potentially better match. We think we know what we want in a partner, but putting it down on paper is different - it made me really think. In no particular order:
My Must Haves
1. Sense of Humor
2. Emotionally Healthy
3. Strong Character
4. Educated (at least a bachelor's)
5. Ambitious
6. Loyal
7. Family Life (committed to marriage, home, and kids)
8. Parenting Style (someone who would parent similarly to me.)
9. Spirituality (similar commitment and beliefs)
10. Sexually Compatible
My Can't Stands:
1. Lying
2. Infidelity
3. Vanity
4. Depressed
5. Unhappy at Work
6. Materialistic
7. Childish
8. Fiscally Irresponsible
9. Undependable
10. Judgmental
My column readers know I had trouble getting my Must Haves down to ten. The ones that I would have liked to include also are kind, personal habits (cleanliness), intellectual, and communicator (good at both talking and listening.)

No comments: