Friday, June 13, 2008

Whew! Non-stop attention

Whew! I have had my one-and-a-half year old niece Alivia for two days. It was her first "away from home" trip, and quite an experience it was! I am exhausted! It is so nerve-wracking taking care of someone else's child. Danger seems to be lurking everywhere!
I am usually so together - on top of every detail, every piece of knowledge - but I swear there were parts of my brain that simply did not have the juice to function while I was taking care of her. It's like the brain can only handle so much, and survival just jumps right up to the top and knocks the other stuff out. And, I am so used to just running around, darting from here to there - that just doesn't happen with a young one. I'll say it again, "Whew!"
I am happy to report, though, that I have returned her in, from what I can tell, the same condition as when I received her. :P We actually did just fine. There were no meltdowns or tantrums. And, she tolerated me just fine, too! There was actually no crying at all; we just had a lot of fun. Distraction is the element that made it work! :)

3 comments:

Gregory Anderson said...

Actually, you returned your niece in better condition than when you received her because she now has precious memories of her aunt imbedded in her soul.

El Jefe Maximo said...

Pack Saddle is correct, but I know that you're relieved to have passed that test !

Hard to be on top of every detail with kiddos: they're soooo totally unpredictable.

Ellen, Chief Tea Officer said...

Greatjob, Auntie!

I am SOOOOO not ready for that!