Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Cedar Fever Claims Its First Victims

Cedar Fever has claimed its first victims - approximately one million of my brain cells.
Because of Cedar Fever - the scourge of Austin - I head-butted my own wall.
Seriously, folks, I couldn't make this stuff up.
Here's what happened: I was going through the usual itchy eyes, stuffy nose, sneezing symptoms when I felt a really strong sneeze coming on. I reached over really fast to try to grab some tissue, but I didn't quite make it. I ended up getting caught right at the corner of two walls, and BAM! I sneezed super, super hard and head-butted the corner of the wall.
Hoover Dam did it hurt! I actually stood there for a second, dazed, like the cartoon characters who have little stars going around in circles over their heads.
Immediately, I developed a headache and wanted to go to sleep (which, of course, is not good.) Then, my head swelled up and turned red. I actually had a two-inch solid red line going straight down my head. Luckily, it was just inside my hair line so it wasn't quite as visible as it could have been - thank goodness for small favors.
It still hurts really bad to wash my hair, but it appears I, myself, will survive. I doubt I'll ever get those brain cells back, though. ;)
See my other cedar fever posts
- "Local Honey and Cedar Fever" and
"Cedar Fever" and "Allergy Tests Me" in "Health - Caroline Style."

3 comments:

El Jefe Maximo said...

A head bump followed by a headache and sleepiness is nothing to make light of. Hope you got checked out for a concussion.

On another note, I fear, greatly, that in your most painful situation, I would, perhaps rather loudly, have expressed my upsetment in terms slightly more colorful than "Hoover Dam !" -- although I do like that expression. (I can do the best run-on sentences !)

I remember Cedar Fever well. I'm allergic to virtually everything, and my first fall/winter in Austin was rather loud for my poor roommate. Hope you feel better.

justcarl said...

Dang Caroline!! Maybe an ice pack? Probably too late to strap on a bike helmet in your home.

At any rate, you are a brave person to mention brain cell loss after having proclaimed yourself an Aggie living in Longhorn territory. DOH! ;-)))))) (Please don't hurt me)

Seriously, I don't wish Cedar Fever on anyone, having suffered it for a number of years. Thank goodness those days are over. No effects in years.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your freak head butt, Candida.
It is incredible to find your car coated with a yellow dust in the morning from the pollen. The weather has been so nice, you can't help to go out and play in the pollen. It's also the time of year when you can actually open your windows since it's so cool, but pollen sneaks in that way too.

I really enjoy to read Queen's and your blogs, you two must be so much fun out on the town.
K123