Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Seaweed Lobster Bake in Belfast

What trip to Maine would be complete without lobstah, right?

At Belfast, Maine’s Three Tides, I took part in my first lobster bake! The owner baked about 15 lobsters, along with new potatoes, corn on the cob, eggs, and clams, in 1,000 pounds of seaweed over a flaming, hot fire. The seaweed pop-popped as the food neared being ready, and the smell was delish.


Seeing it baked this way was very cool! The seaweed gave the lobster a little bit of a smoky flavor and kept it superbly moist. It easily was the best lobster I ever have eaten!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you tried lobster, they're almost a common as chickens elsewhere. Hopefully someone guided you to the chowda, full of big whole clams not little bitsy bits.

El Jefe Maximo said...

How very yummy looking. I love lobster...pair that with a good white wine and I'm a very happy camper.

I've not been to Maine...which is lobster capital, much to my chagrin. Have had chowder and seafood all through CT, NJ and NY though.

Yianni said...

I agree with El Jefe and the earlier poster. I SOOOO love lobster and clam 'chowdah'. Cape Cod has some nice chowdah and they have some good lobsters too.

Love the pictures. Makin' me long for some lobstah.

estarz said...

Looks delish.